20th November 2022
The Chair Seating Club is an informal group meeting monthly. We meet at the Wooburn Craft School on the first Friday of every month. Hours are flexible. Start when you want any time from 2.00 and finish when it suits.
• Chair caning in the well-known six-way standard pattern. Furniture suitable for this should have one or more panels with regularly spaced holes going all the way through the polished frame. A trapezium shaped bedroom chair is suitable for a beginner.
• More advanced chair caning. Recent projects have used patterns such as double Victoria, snowflake, or more unusual designs as well as more complex exercises such as different shaped panels, sunrise or medallion patterns, curved edges or curved surfaces.
• Blind caning where the holes are not drilled all the way through the frame.
• Double caning. This is usually worked on the arms or back of a chair or sofa. Both front and back of the panel are woven at the same time.
• Close caning. Usually done on the seat of a chair with unpolished rails drilled with widely spaced holes, and with raised corners.
• Rush seating using English rush in the ‘envelope’ pattern or a continental design. A small bedroom chair or stool is suitable for a beginner although a drop in seat is not recommended as a starter piece. For rushing, the piece should have solid unpolished rails around the seat with raised corners.
• Other materials. Projects using e.g. Danish cord or paper rush are also possible
In all cases students will need to bring their own furniture to work on, although it may be possible to purchase a suitable piece from the Wooburn Craft School. Any repairs should be complete before caning or rushing, as well as cleaning, painting or French polishing.
If you would like to join the group, please contact the Wooburn Craft School in advance to discuss your requirements and the suitability of your furniture.
Tutor: Christine Brewster
Class Dates (every Tuesday):
January: 10, 17, 24, 31
February: 7, 21, 28
March: 7, 14, 21, 28
Class Times: All classes start at 14:00 and ends at 17:30
Price: £10 per hour